Medical alert systems or Personal Emergency Response Systems (PERS) are designed to protect seniors and those with disabilities from life threatening events, such as dangerous falls and stroke symptoms.
Utilizing a combination of hardware and software, a signal is sent to emergency personnel if an event like this occurs. They are widely worn as pendants or bracelets for elderly or disabled individuals.
When researching a medical alert device, you should consider its shape, size and other features that meet your needs. Some of these additional features may include speaker phone systems, regular in-home or mobile apps and activity trackers. This guide walks you through why you may consider buying a medical alert system and which ones are the best.
Why buy medical alert systems?
Medical alert systems have been known to save lives. According to the CDC, one out of every three people older than 65 years of age (the same age when seniors can apply for Medicare insurance coverage) fall every year. Out of three million senior-related falls that occur every year who fall every year, 20,000 of those could be fatal. Medical alert systems are there to help seniors or those with disabilities in the event a life-threatening event. This is especially important for individuals who live independently.
You should consider purchasing a medical alert system if you are an individual who is at risk of falling due to age or a medication that may dizziness. Traditionally, these are wearable devices equipped with integrated microphones with two way communication with a dispatcher. As technology advances, newer models of medical devices are available on the market.
What are the best medical alert systems?
The medical alert system market is a $2 billion industry. This market has significantly grown over last 10 years and for good reason. Advances in technology have made living independently more attainable for seniors. When deciding what medical alert device is right for you, you should analyze your needs and find the appropriate device.
Also, individuals should consider what equipment would work best depending on their lifestyle. Here are some questions to ask yourself as you start your research:
- Is it wearable like a LifeAlert bracelet?
- Is it waterproof?
- What is the range, mobility and connectivity of the device?
- What is the quality and how long is the battery life?
- What are the logistics of setting up the device and the dispatcher response rate?
- What are the contract terms and fees included with the device?
Whether you are looking for an in-home base system, wearable technology, tracking device or mobile set up, this list will help you determine the best medical alert system.
Learn About the MobileHelp Alert Device
Mobilehelp is a top medical alert company based in the United States that services all 50 states. Its mission is to give its consumers the confidence to live independently by promoting services for safety and health.
- Activity tracking: This medical alert device tracks movement and activity. By remaining active with exercise, seniors can increase balance through muscle tone. These habits are tracked online to help seniors work toward a healthy balanced lifestyle.
- Medication reminders: MobileHelp technology offers reminders for users who missed doses of medication.
- Health goals: This device provides online visualization for activity, weight and other vitals to encourage their consumers to achieve short and long-term goals for health.
- Products: This company has a wide range of products to choose from for every customer need. This includes the classic in-home device, the on-the-go system and a complete protection package which includes both options.
No matter where you are, if you wear their portable emergency device, this device can track your location and notify emergency response teams quicker.
Learn About LifeAlert Systems
LifeAlert systems may be one of the longest running medical alert device companies. For over 30 years, LifeAlert handles over two million calls a year. It creates safety and peace of mind for their senior consumers who live at home independently.
Not only does LifeAlert aid with medical emergencies, it also helps with home intrusion. In every product available, you can feel confident that emergency protection is available inside and outside the home.
- Reliability: LifeAlert is rated as one of the best medical alert systems around. If there is an emergency, you can be connected with a live dispatcher 24 hours a day.
- Warranty: This company offers a free lifetime warranty on all equipment.
- Features: All devices are fully waterproof. This makes it easy for the equipment to be worn in the shower, pool or when working out.
- Quality: Not only does the equipment have an extended battery life, its long-range connectivity provides freedom around your home.
Learn About AARP Medical Alert Systems
AARP medical alert systems are available to consumers through an in-home smart technology system. If you are a member of AARP, you can apply discounts for monthly fees and installation packages through recommended retailers on their website.
The AARP does not handle their own line of products for alert or emergency bracelets. However, as a supporter of senior living, the offered discounts can assist in getting a quality device within certain budget restrictions.
Learn About Medical Alert Systems from Walmart
Purchasing a medical alert system from Walmart may be ideal for those on a budget. While Walmart does not have its own brand of device, it does market FDA-approved devices. Walmart has a wide range of products from in-home, pill alarms and reminders, mobile alert systems and key ring technology. You may even find a name brand model cheaper than what you can find on the retailer’s website.
Be aware, thought, that not all medical alert systems with fall detection are created equally. If you locate an appealing brand at Walmart, make sure to fully research the product. Understand how to have the system installed, what the monthly costs and fees would be, and the response rate.
No matter what system you choose be sure it meets all of your needs. Also, outweigh the benefits over costs. This is important when adding additional features like, activity trackers and GPS locator.